Clanwilliam is situated at the foot of the mighty Cederberg mountain range ±230 km from Cape Town. It has lots to offer the tourists, namely the beauty of the mountains, rock art, bird-watching, lots of historical buildings, the scenic beauty of the flowers in “Flower Season”, as well as watersports. An annual fishing competition, the Bass Classic, is held in October at the Clanwilliam Dam. We have ample accommodation in and around the town. Various 4×4 routes are available in the area. Furthermore, Clanwilliam is the only place in the world where Rooibos is planted and cultivated. The factory can be visited for a video-show on the tea-process and products can be bought directly from them. Clanwilliam is also well-known for its “Veldskoene” (leather shoes), made by Strassbergers. A visit to the factory is worthwhile, and shoes can be bought from them in any size and colour.
At the end of August each year, thousands of people visit the town for the Wild Flower Exhibition which is held in the Old Dutch Reformed Church. ±350 species of wild flowers are exhibited. A must is a visit to the Ramskop Nature Reserve, during August and September. (Old D.R. Church) as well as an 1820 Settlers house, situated behind the Criterion in the Main Road.
Clanwilliam has a variety of historical buildings of which seven have been declared Historical Buildings prior to 1980. These include: the original farm house of Jan Disselsvalleij (2 Park Street), the Officers’ Residence between 1808 and 1858 (5 Park Street), the Old Goal Building (Museum), the Flower Church (Old D.R. Church) as well as an 1820 Settlers house, situated behind the Criterion in the Main Road.
Another monument is the St. John’s Church which was built in 1866. Some of the oldest graves are found here, some dating back to 1842, during the Anglo-Boer War. Two more monuments are the Magistrates Court and “Die Erf”.
The Bulshoek Dam, ± 24 km North of Clanwilliam along the N7, is an important resource of water for farmers alongside the Olifants River as well as those from Citrusdal to Lutzville. The water of the Bulshoek Dam is released into a canal system over 83km serving 9 330 ha of listed land. The Dam is a popular holiday resort for visitors from all over.
Clanwilliam has a variety of historical buildings of which seven have been declared Historical Buildings prior to 1980. These include: the original farm house of Jan Disselsvalleij ( 2 Park Street), the village and the surrounding area has much to offer visitors. Apart from the scenic beauty of the mountains, the river, the dam and the spectacular spring flowers, the country-side can be enjoyed by climbing, walking, boating, swimming, fishing, bird-watching and visiting rock-art sights.
sources : www.southafricatravels.com